Frittata with Bacon Broccoli & Mushrooms
What is a Frittata?
Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish and similar to an omelet or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs. With a Frittata you will add additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, or vegetables or whatever you fancy.
Did you know, that the word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried.”
What’s the difference between an omelet and a frittata?
Unlike omelets, frittata fillings are mixed in with the eggs in the pan rather than folded in the center. Omelets are typically made to serve just one, while frittatas can serve one or many. It can also be eaten hot or at room temperature. Large frittatas are cut in slices and served.
Even though frittatas are usually seen as breakfast dishes, I like them any time of day. This one, in particular, was delicious for dinner.
- 250 g bacon, sliced or diced
- 150 g broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 150 g mushrooms, chopped
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 50 ml fresh cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Get an ovenproof frying pan or wide pot and fry the onions in butter.
- Add the bacon and fry to your liking — I like it when the edges just start to crisp up.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir occasionally until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and one sprig of finely chopped coriander.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, baking powder, cream, parsley, a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper together.
- Turn the heat off and add the egg mixture to your cooked veggies, bacon, and onions.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on your ovenproof dish).
- Allow to cool slightly, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy.
Prepared, tried and tested by Jana Cooks
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 1142
- Fat: 36
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 18
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 31
- Cholesterol: 334
We invite you to come and join our two FB Recipe Groups: