Our dinner for tonight …yummy
2 pieces chicken breast chopped into small cubes bite
2 big brown mushroom chopped into small bites
1 carrots chopped into small cubes
1 clove garlic salt and pepper
1 stick of celery with leaves chopped
For the mash potatoes topping
7 tbsp milk
115g/1 stick butter
Cheddar cheese grated
For the sauce:
40g/3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp whipping cream salt and pepper and 1 bunch scallion (spring onion)
1. Heat oil in saucepan, fry onion garlic until soft add chicken, mushrooms, celery and add 1/4 cup chicken stock season with salt and pepper and bring to boil about 5 minutes set aside
2. Meanwhile, make the topping, peel potatoes cut into a large chunks and put in a large saucepan of salted water. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan, add milk and butter to the potatoes and heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and mash together until smooth. Stir in cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 200C divide the chicken mixture between 4 ovenproof ramekins dishes.
4. To make the sauce, melt butterin a pan. Add the flour, stir until smooth and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time until smooth. Bring to the boil, stirring and cook until thickened. Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut each scallion into 4 pieces. Add scallions to the sauce and pour over the chicken. Spoon the mash potatoes over the top of cream and spread over with fork.
6. Put the dishes on to a baking sheet. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Joy Martin Smyth