Old-fashioned Gingerbread Cake is the perfect treat to keep on hand during the holidays
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″ pan
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in egg and then mix in molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients together and mix into the wet. Lastly, mix in the water.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour.
- I “painted” the loaf 3 days before serving with 3 tablespoons of Brandy, wrapped it up tightly to store, and then served it with butter.
- It is so very flavorful!
- The image was taken before baking. It comes out dark and rich and moist. Delicious!
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Corlea Smit