There’s nothing quite like the Perfect Crispy Pork Crackling. Hope this will help you to get yours just right
Nothing is better than perfectly crisp Pork Crackling. How to achieve it, well, It’s easy!
When you buy your Pork look for pork that has a layer of fat underneath the skin as this produces the best crackling.
It has to be thinly scored, for this, I actually use a Stanley Knife. The piece of Pork I have pictured is a piece of Belly Pork approx 2 kilos and we scored it and then rolled it.
- Heat oven and set to 250C.
- Next, take a small amount of oil and rub it into the skin.
- Then generously salt the skin making sure you rub it well into the fat.
- The specs, you notice on this one are sage as we always add herbs to ours.
- But just salt is fine.
- Put in a very hot oven until skin starts to blister up.
- If you tap with a knife you can hear it or once you get used to it you can see it blistering up.
- But keep an eye on it ( as my pic) below shows I took my eye off the ball and burnt the edges.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to about 170 degrees for the remainder of cooking time which depends on the size and cut off your pork.
- Pork loin cooks quicker.
- You should now have a lovely piece of pork with crispy crackling and lovely melt in your mouth pork.
Prepared, tried, and tested by carol Taylor