1 1⁄4 cups flour (more or less)
1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom (elachie) powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon semolina (heaped)
1⁄2 tin condensed milk
1⁄4 teaspoon bicarb
1 tablespoon ghee (Clarified butter)
oil for deep frying
1 1⁄2 cups water
2 cups sugar
5 ml rose water
2 pods cardamon
Method for the gulab jamun
Sift all the ingredients together – except flour
Add in the ghee (Clarified butter) and mix well until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Gradually stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
Mix in flour little at a time till soft dough.
Roll the dough into many elongated finger-like shapes.
Deep fry in oil until golden brown in color
Place directly into syrup for a few minutes.
Drain onto a wire rack.
Optional: Roll the gulab jamun’s into desiccated coconut.
Method for syrup
Boil the water and sugar together until a sticky consistency is reached.
Stir in the rose essence and keep the syrup warm
Recipe credit: Halal Recipes
4 cups sugar
3 cups water
½ tsp rose essence
a few drops food coloring (optional)
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Tbs semi-solid ghee
1 can condensed milk
1. Syrup: Combine sugar and water in a pot, stir over moderate heat until it comes to a boil
2. Turn up the heat and boil for 8 – 10 minutes, remove from heat and add essence
3. Use warm
4. Dough: Sift flour, baking powder and nutmeg and rub in the butter
5. Add condensed milk whilst mixing and gather into a dough
6. Heat ghee on low heat
7. Break off pieces of dough and roll into finger shapes
8. Deep fry a few at a time until golden in color
9. Remove with a draining spoon and dip into syrup for a few minutes until coated
10. Remove from syrup onto wire rack for syrup to drip-off
Recipe credit: Eshana Suleman
Both above Prepared, tried and tested by: Preshana Singh