As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox! Yes, you can imitate Smoked salmon and make your own ‘lox’. Nonvegans will think it’s real smoked salmon!
This is such an easy recipe to make! All you need to do would be to marinate the carrot with some liquid smoke and pair it with baguettes or bagels with delicious vegan cream cheese.
Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Resting Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 24 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: Approximately 40–50 slices (2 baguettes), and 4-5 slices per person 1x
- Category: Vegan Recipes
- Diet: VeganDiet
You’re vegan but still miss salmon! Well, then you need to try this Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox with its smoky flavor savory and you will be in vegan heaven! Stack it on a baguette or a bagel with some marinated capers and dill and I promise you that it is just as good as the real thing.
- 2 large, peeled carrots
- 30 ml of chopped capers
- 15 ml of caper brine or pickle juice
- 30 ml of lemon juice
- 5 ml of liquid smoke
- 15 ml of olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp of store-bought minced bottled garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 or 2 Baguettes sliced or bagels
- 1 tub Vegan cream cheese
- Fresh dill
- Fill a pot with water (enough to cover the carrots) and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Peel the carrots
- Lower it in the pot of boiling water.
- ONLY cook the carrots for 10 minutes, as you do not want to overcook it as it will get mushy.
- In the unlikely event that it’s not soft enough, keep boiling until your carrots are fork-tender but NOT all the way through.
- Meanwhile, use a large Ziplock bag and combine the capers, brine, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper in the bag.
- When carrots are done, take them out and add them to a pot of cold water as this will stop the cooking process.
- When you can handle the carrots, use a potato peeler, and start to shave off thin slices.
- Mix the sauce in the Ziplock bag well.
- Take the carrot slices and place them in the bag but make sure that they all well coated in your marinade.
- When you seal the bag, do your best and remove as much air from the bag as possible and leave it on a plate in the fridge.
- I left it for 2 days to ensure the flavor seeped into the carrots and get that nice smoky flavor.
- You do not have to leave it that long as I did, but make sure by taste-testing it prior to serving.
- Slice your baguette and liberally spread it with vegan cream cheese
- Take the strips and place them on top of the cheese spread
- Add some marinated capers and decorate with fresh dill.
Prepared, tried, and tested owner, Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 208
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox
All that’s now left would be to start munching and enjoy it.
You can serve this Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox as a healthy vegan appetizer!
It is absolutely outstanding and perfect for Christmas or New Year as party food. I will for sure make this again.
You can serve the vegan carrot smokes lox after about 24 hours of marinating, although I prefer to let it sit for 2 days. I made these for a special occasion and wanted the smoky flavor to seep well into the carrots. The Lox can be stored in a refrigerator in the marinade for up to 4 days.
Smoked salmon is a preparation of salmon, typically a fillet that has been cured and hot or cold smoked. Due to its moderately high price, smoked salmon is considered a delicacy. Although the term lox is sometimes applied to smoked salmon, they are different products.
Lox vs Smoked Salmon
What is the difference when it comes to the real product, not Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox
More Vegan recipes
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
4 thoughts on “Vegan Carrot Smoked Lox”
Oh my goodness!! I need this; Pinned! I’d be honored if you shared it at our Meatless Monday link up! https://lazygastronome.com/tomato-soup-meatless-monday-link-up-4/
Hi there Helen – Thank you so much for your comment and asking – I will hop over now and share this recipe with your linky. Thanks again.
Thanks for sharing at the party-I shared this with my sister. Have a great week!
Thank you so much for sharing with your sister, much appreciated and hope you all will love it