The best ever salad, Beetroot & Fig Salad with Roasted Radishes, with fresh figs and yummy beetroot topped with all the healthy goodness of pumpkin and sunflower seeds!!
- 6-8 medium-sized beetroots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 125ml sugar
- 125ml balsamic vinegar
- 125ml boiling water
- 60ml olive oil
- 100ml pumpkin seeds
- 100ml sunflower seeds
- 1 bunch radishes, well rinsed and leave trimmed off
- 8-12 ripe purple figs, broken open (we could not get fresh purple figs, so used store-bought dried figs)
- 2-3 handfuls rocket or baby salad leaves
- 100ml dried cranberries
- Parmesan shavings (omit for vegan, or as we did, only add to the one side of the salad)
Boil the beetroot in the sugar, vinegar, and water until tender and syrupy.
Allow cooling completely. Season with salt & black pepper.
Heat half the olive oil and roast the seeds slowly until they start to puff up.
Remove from the heat and season with coarse salt. Allow cooling.
Mix the radishes with the remaining olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
Roast for a few minutes under the hot grill, it gives them a lovely texture.
To assemble, arrange the beetroot, radishes, and figs in-between the leaves, then sprinkle the cranberries, seeds, and Parmesan cheese on top.
Serve with olive oil & extra balsamic vinegar.
Recipe credit: “Home”
Prep time 1 hour
Cooking time 30 min
Prepared, tried, and tested Corlea Smit