For the candied Orange slices
1&1/2 cup sugar
For the filling
100g ricotta cheese
1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
1/4 cup candied orange peel or orange slices
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 tbsp orange liqueur
1 tsp vanilla
1) Slice the oranges into wheels and remove any seeds, taking care not to tear the oranges.
2) Bring a pot of water up to a boil and drop in the oranges slices. Simmer for 1 minute, then strain, discarding the water.
3) Refill the pot with 1/4 cup of fresh water and add sugar, bring to simmer then add the oranges slices and simmer gently, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
The orange or peel slices will look slightly translucent (but not completely)
4) Remove the pot from the heat and cool the syrup for up to a month
For the filling
1) Beat all the ingredients together until well blended and chill until ready to assemble.
2) Line 6 ramekins or other dishes or cups with plastic wrap, drain 6 orange slices well and place one each at the bottom of each dish.
3) Heat reserve syrup with water and orange liqueur until just below a simmer. Cut the lady finger to size to fit the dish, and dip them into the syrup, immediately arrange them in the dish as closely together as possible .
4) Spoon the ricotta filling into the center of dish and top with dipped lady fingers. Wrap the dish and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
5) To serve, unwrap the Cassata and tip them onto individual plates, removing the dish and plastic wrap, drizzle some syrup on top.
Prepared, tried and tested by: https://www.facebook.com/alljoyslovelycooking/