The Best Chicken Curry With Peas and Pineapple Cucumber Salad!
- 8-10 chicken pieces (thighs and legs)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (blanched in hot water) peeled and chopped
- 4 chilies sliced (2 green and 2 red)
- coconut oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the pot)
- 3–4 medium-sized potatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 2 tsp Aminas all-purpose curry paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tbsp extra hot Suhan Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tbsp leaf curry powder
- 1 tbsp Bombay Masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tsp jeera powder (divided)’
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp shah jeera
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1-star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leave
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Hot water as needed
- ½ bunch chopped coriander + leaves to garnish
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- Dry roast all seeds and grind in the coffee grinder till course but not a fine powder.
- Heat oil, add onion and chilies, and fry until onion tender.
- Add ground spices and fry for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and fry until the chicken changes color and is no longer pink.
- Add ginger/garlic paste, curry paste, and masalas
- Except for 1 tsp jeera powder and garam masala.
- Toss until meat is well coated.
- Fry on low heat uncovered until it starts catching.
- Add a splash of boiling water from the kettle.
- Add tomatoes, curry leaves, and salt and simmer on medium/low for 10-15 minutes, until chicken is tender and gravy thickened.
- Then add potatoes and about ½ cup of hot water or more and allow to cook on medium to low heat until potatoes are soft.
- Add the frozen peas, 1 tsp jeera powder, garam masala, and chopped coriander, and simmer another 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Pineapple Cucumber Salad
- 1 red onion
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded
- 1 medium cucumber
- A handful of shredded lettuce
- 3 pineapple slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar (or more)
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, cucumber, pineapple, lettuce, coriander leaves, and green chili.
- Add enough vinegar to coat well.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Mix again and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Mix all the ingredients well and serve chilled.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar