While on a recent vacation we wandered into a small bakery in Republic, WA and bought some yummy muffins. She said they were “Morning Glory Muffins” and she told me what was in them. They were so yummy I had to try them at home!
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated zucchini
1 medium tart apple, peeled and grated
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/3 cup pecans; coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and kosher salt. Whisk the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil and vanilla. Stir in carrots, zucchini, apple, pineapple, coconut and pecans.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined, but do not over mix.
5. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. I sprinkled some more coconut on the top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Source: Mona Aumair
TRIED AND TESTED