2 cups cake flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
25 g butter
125 ml sour milk or buttermilk, or water and lemon juice
Oil for frying
2 cups White Sugar
1 cup water
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp orange blossom water
1/8 tsp cardamom powder
1. Sift together dry ingredients. Rub in butter with your fingertips, or cut it in with a pastry blender.
2. Combine with liquid to form a soft dough which can easily be kneaded. Use more liquid if necessary.
3. Knead thoroughly until small bubbles form under the surface of the dough, cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
4. Roll to a thickness of 5mm and cut into 5mm strips 7cm long. Place ends of three strips on top of the other, press together and plait. When plaited, press ends together again.
5. Fry in hot, deep fat (170ºC) until golden brown. Allow to drain on absorbent paper and then immerse in ice cold syrup (see syrup method).
6. Remove, allow excess syrup to drip off and leave to dry on a wire rack.
1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar has completely dissolved. Cover and boil for one minute.
2. Remove lid and boil for a further 5 minutes. Do not stir.
Recipe Credit: Adapted from the Illovo Sugar Recipe
Prepared, tried and tested by: Preshana Singh
- Make tomorrow more amazing than today!
- Just believe in yourself and dream big.
- Do not give up on your hopes. Take care always.