As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You should serve this Classic Lemon Pound Cake with afternoon tea or have it as a dessert, you will love the freshness of this classic lemon pound cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 cup room temperature Rama margarine.
- 1½ cups castor sugar.
- Grated zest of 1 lemon.
- 5 eggs.
- 1/3 cup sour cream.
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence.
- 1½ cup cake flour.
- ½ tsp salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat the castor sugar and margarine, until light and fluffy roughly 5 minutes on high speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla essence together.
- Add this to the margarine mixture into two halves and beat on high till combined.
- Sift the cake flour into the egg mixture and ass the lemon zest.
- Mix on high, until everything is well combined.
- Grease and dust a loaf pan.
- Pour the battered into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 60 – 80 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn the cake about every 15 minutes, to ensure that the cake browns evenly.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan to cool.
- While cooling prepare the syrup.
Ingredients for the syrup:
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice.
- 2 tbsp. tap water.
- 1/3 castor sugar.
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and allow to boil till all the sugar has dissolved.
- Poke holes in the cake and pour the warm syrup over the top of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin, before turning it out onto a cooling rack until ready to eat.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Bobby Swanson
2 thoughts on “Classic Lemon Pound Cake”
This looks like a delicious variation of a pound cake, Esme. I have never seen a recipe with sour cream in it before.
Thanks Robbie – always some new to learn from my fellow FB followers – I love to see what other people try out and wish I could prepare all the dishes they so loving share with us.