Pecan Sugar-Free Granola is great for people who need to be mindful of blood sugar levels for a variety of health reasons or for those with diabetes.
Granola is a breakfast and snack food consisting of rolled oats, nuts, honey, or other sweeteners such as brown sugar, and sometimes puffed rice, which is usually baked until crisp, toasted, and golden brown. The mixture is stirred while baking to avoid burning and to maintain a loose breakfast cereal consistency. Dried fruit, such as raisins and dates, and confections such as chocolate are sometimes added. Granola is often eaten in combination with yogurt, honey, fresh fruit (such as bananas, strawberries, or blueberries), milk, or other forms of cereal. It also serves as a topping for various pastries, desserts, or ice cream. Muesli is similar to granola, except that it is traditionally neither sweetened nor baked.
Granola is sometimes taken when hiking, camping, or backpacking because it is nutritious, lightweight, high in calories, and easy to store (properties that make it similar to trail mix and muesli). Manufacturers also add honey, corn syrup, or maple syrup to it and compress it into granola bars, which make it easy to carry for packed lunches, hiking, or other outdoor activities.
Perfect breakfast for those cutting on sugar and diabetics and it’s super easy to prepare at home and very tasty.
- Place the pecan nuts in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle in cinnamon and salt.
- Pour in the coconut oil.
- Toss all the ingredients (except raisins) thoroughly.
- Spread out on a dry baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven at 180C / 350F for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tray a few times and stir/shake the mixture to ensure even toasting.
- Remove from oven and add in the raisins.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Scoop into a sealable jar/container and store in a cool place.
- Add to milk or yogurt and enjoy!!
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 47
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: pecans, sugarfree, granola, milk, breakfast