This is my Veganuary meal: Besan Dosa with Aloo which is a chickpea flatbread (besan dosa) served with curried potato (aloo)!
What is besan made of?
Gram flour or besan is a pulse flour made from a type of ground chickpea called the gram chickpea. It is a staple ingredient in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent, including Indian, Bangladeshi, Burmese, Nepali, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and Caribbean cuisines.
What is Aloo?
Indian English for potato
How about more Aloo recipes for you to test out?
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1/3 cup Cake Flour
- 1 - 1 ½ Cup Warm Water (approx.)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- Chopped Coriander
- Chopped Scallions/Spring Onions
- 1 tsp. Paprika/Chili Flakes/Masala
- Salt to taste
- 4-6 Potatoes (peeled & cubed)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 Tomato (diced)
- 2-3 Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp. Ginger & Garlic (Ground)
- Masala (to your heat level)
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander to garnish
- Mix the chickpea flour together with all the ingredients together to form a batter then set aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a heavy-based pan and pour in a small amount of the batter in, swirl the pan to ensure even coverage, flip over and allow it to cook on both sides.
- You may add a teaspoonful of oil to the pan while cooking the flatbread if necessary. Keep covered once cooked. Enjoy!!
- Heat the oil in a pot.
- Add in the onion and cook till soft then add in the curry leaves ginger & garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomato, garam masala and masala.
- Allow this to cook till tomatoes are soft and the mixture looks thick. Drop in the potatoes.
- Sprinkle in the salt and water (½ cup as needed) and allow it to cook till soft on medium heat.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy!!
Prepared, tried, and tested Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes - Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe,
please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 248Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 232mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 7g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.